“In the steady thrum that accompanies quiet, my mind is unkind to me. I think too much. I feel, perhaps, far more than I should.”
Rating: 4.5/5 stars
IT’S HERE YOU GUYS. RESTORE ME, IS FINALLY HERE!!!!!!
In case you missed it, Tahereh Mafi, blessed our souls by taking her Shatter Me trilogy and giving us THREE more books. For those of you who have been a part of the Shatter Me fandom for years I applaud you, because how in the blue moon were you all able to wait years for this?! I seriously have no idea. Shatter Me follows Juliette Ferrars, whose touch is lethal, literally, it sucks the life right out of you. She has spent most of her life in and out of juvenile detention centers and insane asylums after a horrific accident left a child dead that Juliette was only trying to help. This is only the premise of the series, but it gets SO much more in depth with each book. However, I promise I will not spoil anything. My lips are sealed folks, you need to read this for yourselves.
Restore Me, might be the bombshell of all bombshells as far as adding depth to the story. First of all, we get SO much new information on Juliette, Warner, Kenji, new characters, and the Reestablishment. It’s actually mind boggling to know what I know now after finishing this and think that Tahereh could have withheld such vital information from us! Almost all of the questions I hoped would be answered were within the first half to the book, much to my relief. Except now I just have about a million more questions and I have no idea how I will be able to wait AN ENTIRE YEAR for more answers.
Not only do we get A LOT of answers in this book but we also get Warner’s POV and I am still trying to recover from that. If you think you don’t need his POV, think again, because you really, REALLY do. Warner, is such a tortured soul that it breaks my heart. The abuse he endured from his father throughout his entire life still takes a toll on him everyday and readers are able to see that so much more with his POV. This book definitely covers more of the his childhood/abuse than the first three books and while we were able to take a tiny peek into his mind in Destroy Me, those 60 pages didn’t do him any justice compared to this book. If you were not aboard the Warner train already you probably will be by the end of this book.
Much like Ignite Me, this book is VERY character driven rather than action packed. The real heart stopping action happens within the last 15 or so pages. Which I will now mostly likely need therapy from. This book focuses more on Juliette, coming to terms with what she just signed herself up for. While at times she seemed a little whiny, I was also very appreciative of the fact that she doubted herself. Sometimes it’s nice to have a main character who isn’t perfect, doesn’t know if they’ve made the right decisions, or are ready to face the task they signed up for. So to see Juliette struggle with being the Supreme Commander of Sector 45 and everything it entails made me love her character even more.
Here’s a list of things you can expect from Restore Me:
- The beginning of strong female friendships. FINALLY. Don’t get me wrong I love Kenji and all, but this series needs some more strong, badass, rebellious women and Tahereh delivers exactly that.
- Kenji’s backstory
- Warnette *insert heart emoji eyes*
- More Kenji wittiness. Almost everything I highlighted while reading this book was Kenji’s sarcastic comments, he was amazing in this book
- Lots of secrets will be revealed
- SO MUCH DIVERSITY! SERIOUSLY, SO MUCH DIVERSITY IT’S AMAZING
- Juliette’s character development is still at the top of it’s game
- Warner’s anxiety rep 10/10
- Perhaps maybe some progress to the Warner Adam relationship
- GAMECHANGING PLOT TWISTS x 54783673489753784 (they’ll ruin your life)
- Misery for one whole year until book 5 comes out
Here’s a list of things you will NOT expect from Restore Me:
- Any of the plot twists, seriously, not one
- Having your chest ripped open while Tahereh Mafi stands over you manually pumping your heart for you and letting you know that at a moments notice she can ruin your life and end you
Because she really did just do that, she really left us with one of the most devastating cliffhanger I’ve ever read. Tahereh, also said she didn’t think this book ended on a sad note and I want to know WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF SAD?! BECAUSE I MEAN I’M BARELY BREATHING OVER HERE.
So yeah, that’s about it in a nutshell. I hope you all are ready for this wild ride. I hope you’re ready to have everything you ever thought you knew about Juliette, Warner, Kenji, and the Reestablishment demolished. Trust me, you won’t be let down. You’ll just be in the biggest book hangover of your life!
Until next time!